Tuesday, November 29, 2016

A Walk To Remember

November 30, 2016

The area where we live is very hilly.  Just across the road is a lovely park with lots of walking routes, hills galore and a monument to the father of the Thai navy at the top.  This View Point hill is a good place to get a view of the entire waterfront.  Just beyond this hill is a second hill, commonly referred to as Big Buddha Hill for the huge golden Buddha statue that greets many visitors.

Atop View Point Hill

Big Buddha Hill
I had gone walking a couple of times on View Point hill, but was a bit uncomfortable alone with the packs of stray dogs patrolling the roads there.  Then finally, a few weeks ago, I met another woman living in our building; she is a Ford wife from Argentina, and was willing to let me join her on her morning walks.

Her regular route was much more adventurous than anything I had done on my own.  She walked over View Point Hill, then circled Big Buddha Hill as well.  I was happy to see a new part of the "neighborhood," and glad to have company along the way.

The walk is grueling for one as out of shape as me.  Sometimes it feels like the entire walk is uphill!  I'm sure I wouldn't have pushed myself so far if I was on my own.  I am a dripping, red-faced, ugly mess by the time we return from our hour walk, and am often stiff and achy for the day.  But it feels good to be out and moving.  I had been doing exercise videos on Youtube pretty faithfully, but this was a whole new level of hurt...in a good way...at least that's what I keep telling myself.

We have been walking together three times a week for just over two weeks, but now my walking companion has gone back to Argentina for some weeks.  The challenge will be to get myself out the door when no one is waiting for me.  I do feel more confident to walk alone now - there are always plenty of other people walking or jogging.

I've started to recognize a few regulars out there.  One man in particular stands out;  I've started thinking of him as the mayor of the hill.  He's an older British (I think) gentleman, usually walking with a Thai woman.  He reminds me a bit of Frank Morgan, who played the Wizard in the Wizard of Oz, mostly because of his kindly voice.  He always encourages us as he passes - "Hellooo!  You're doing great!"

Today was my first time to do the circuit alone, and I allowed myself to stop for pictures along the way, so I could share some of the scenery.  Here's hoping for a sustained determination to keep going!

no touch, no talk, no eye contact -
thank-you, Caesar Millan

ever-present construction


flags along the entrance to Big Buddha Hill

Passed this for several days before I noticed it


glad to be at the top heading down!


group of locals gather to exercise together -
this plaza is popular for group exercise

When hauling yourself up the hill isn't enough,
some strap on a tire and drag it behind -
yowza

always cute puppies to distract
me from the battle

Never knew this place had a name

My favorite fish - at the top of
the last hill



Smiling security guards and one-eyed dog
always waiting to welcome us back home
P.S.  Happy Birthday to my favorite husband, my one and only true loveđź’“ Thanks for sharing this adventure with me!


3 comments:

Thanks for reading!