Monday, February 8, 2016

Three Weeks With My Brother(s): Part 1 (Beijing)

After celebrating the New Year in our new place with fireworks on every side of our condo, it was finally time for my much-anticipated trip to China with three fine traveling companions - my brother, brother-in-law, and my brother's best friend.







Day 1 - January 16th

I said goodbye to my sweetie at 5:30 a.m., and Mick drove me to the airport.  When I checked in at the ticket counter, they asked me how I was leaving China, since I had just a one-way ticket.  I explained that we would be touring several cities, using planes, trains and automobiles to get from one place to the next.  They asked to see my train tickets, which I didn't have, since the tour company was providing them.  So they warned me that I would be questioned about this when I entered China.  I was all set to show my itinerary in Guangzhou, but they never asked me a thing. They never ask you when you have your answer prepared, do they?



I was soon aboard China Southern airlines heading to Guangzhou, where I would go through customs and change planes, final destination: Beijing.  A gentleman approached me on the plane after I was seated, indicating that I was in his seat.  I pulled out my ticket, and realized I had been looking at my second flight.  He offered to just take my seat instead of
making me move, which was nice.  So I sat in exactly the same seat on both flights.



The stop in Guangzhou was long enough for a stop in the restroom, when (horrors!) I encountered my first "floor potty."  If you've never had the pleasure, let me tell you this is no easy task for the likes of me.  Which way are you even supposed to face??  In Japan, at least they have different options clearly labeled on the doors - not so at this place.  Well, I managed to do what needed to be done.  Welcome to China.

I was amused to hear the theme from "Lord of the Rings" on the plane while we were waiting to take off.  I don't know why, but I just expected Chinese music!  I was also amused, and a little chagrined, that the same movie, "Paper Towns," was shown on both flights, and both flights ended just before the climax of the movie - grr!  The dispiriting pall of smog was evident when landing in Beijing; much of the scenery was obscured.  How gloomy it must be to face this every day.

 It was a chilly walk to a chilly bus to the terminal, and I "wisely" packed my jacket, thinking I would exit the plane directly into a building.  It didn't occur to me, but since I changed planes in Guangzhou, I was arriving in Beijing at the domestic terminal.  This was a different terminal from my "crew."  I expected to be met by them, since they were all scheduled to arrive an hour or two ahead of me, but only a man holding my name was there.  I thought perhaps they were already in the car, but again, it was just me.  Mustering the confidence that I wasn't being taken captive, I trustingly got into the vehicle and assumed I was being taken to the right hotel.  The communication barrier kept me from finding out any real information.  What a relief it was to arrive at the hotel, and see Matthew waiting in the lobby!  Bob and Paul came in shortly after.  Even though they arrived in China before me, they'd had to go through immigration, which I'd already done in Guangzhou.  All together at last!  Our guide for Beijing, "Joe," got us settled and said he would meet us in the lobby at 8:30 a.m. for our first day of touring.

My brother, Bob, and I would be roommates for the duration - what a treat to be able to hang out together!  We checked into our rooms, and Bob surprised me with a book he'd had made of all my drawings from a game we play each other online - Draw Something.  He'd done a screenshot of each drawing, then compiled them all into a book - what an amazing guy!





After getting settled, we bundled up against the cold and smog to check out the city.  My friend, Mika, was kind enough to give me some masks for protection against the severe air pollution here.  It was a bonus that it also helped to keep the cold out, 'cuz it was frigid!


It was recommended to us that we walk to Wangfujing, a pedestrian street just a couple blocks from our hotel that was lined with upscale shops.  We found an ATM for those who needed it, then kept an eye out for a place to eat.  The street was festively adorned in preparation for Spring Festival and Chinese New Year, which was just a few weeks away.  Monkeys featured prominently in the decorations, as 2016 (2559) will be the Year of the Monkey.  We enjoyed the decorations, but couldn't really recognize a good place to eat - very little signage is in English here, and most places didn't have windows we could peer into for clues.  So we ended up just going back to the hotel for a late dinner of soup and dumplings.

M, B and P!





My initial impression of the country was a good one - not blatantly oppressive, but well-cared-for, with kind, helpful people... but oh, so cold!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!