Friday, August 12, 2016

Everything Under the Heavens

My mad selfie skills
I finally got up the courage to go for my first haircut in Thailand a while back.  The hair of an older white lady must be quite different in texture to that of the beautiful, dark Thai hair.  After a very vigorous shampooing, it was obvious that my hair was a tangled, knotty mess.  As the woman slowly combed it out, she remarked that I had "Barbie hair."  Nice - unfortunately, mine isn't stretchy plastic.

I went for a second haircut about a month ago.  This time I had a nice lady boy cut my hair.  The term "lady boy" is not an insult here.  I've had conversations about this with my Thai teacher, because I don't want to appear rude or judgmental.  He says this is the polite term to use, in Thailand anyway.  He said he has a good friend who is a lady boy.  I also learned that not all lady boys dress as women - some just identify as feminine.  Thai language has gender-specific polite endings used regularly when speaking - "Krup" for men, "Kaa" for women.  Lady boys use a third polite ending.   And lady boys a very normal part of everyday life, working in stores, restaurants, Starbucks, beauty salons and everywhere else.  Who gets to use which bathroom is a non-issue.

Anyway, I again enjoyed an ardent shampoo and head massage, and again my hair grew into a tangled mess.  I could feel my already dwindling hair being pulled out by the roots as she combed out the knots.  A few more beauty shop visits and I may be completely bald when I return!  Oh, how I miss my old hairdresser, Carrie.

In the chair next to me, a farang was getting a straight-razor shave by a young man.  Not sure you could find a young man doing a straight-razor shave in the US.  Seemed like only the old guys did that in their traditional barber shops.

Non sequitur alert...

The ice cream here is a bit odd to our taste - definitely different than what we're used to.  I bought ice cream once that I thought was sherbet.  "3-in-1 Asian Delight" was not sherbet, but three interesting flavors of ice cream: matcha green tea, thai milk tea, and salacider.





Matcha green tea powder is commonly used in Japanese tea ceremonies.  Thai milk tea is a spicy, golden orange-colored black tea traditionally sweetened with condensed milk, for which I have unfortunately developed an affinity since we've been here.  I never heard of salacider, so I looked it up.  It comes from sala fruit, also foreign to me.  So I looked for it in the store, and found these bunches of fruit that look similar to strawberries, but with spiky hairs like Velcro.  Inside is a sweet, whitish fruit with texture a bit like a grape, around a large pit.  Interesting taste, with a tangy hint of bubble gum, but not one I'd seek out on a regular basis.



Non Sequitur Number Two:

Recent scenes from the balcony.


rainy season brings some awesome storms




low tide




deliciously fragrant plumeria decorate the swimming area


storm moving in from the west
Come join me for some Thai tea out on the balcony, won't you?





6 comments:

Thanks for reading!