Monday, November 23, 2015

Good People

Thais are some of the dearest, most generous people.  I had to share a couple of recent stories with you to illustrate.

First, my friend Mika's daughter has had recurring sniffles and coughs of late, as little ones are prone to do.  The two of them frequent a banana vendor near their place where you can buy delicious banana slices on a skewer.  The banana vendor expressed concern for little Momo.  The next time they saw her, the woman had gone and bought her some cough medicine - so sweet!  You know a woman who runs a banana cart for a living does not have a lot of extra baht laying around.  Very touching.


The second happened just today.  Tim's boots were very muddy from our ATV adventure, and have been sitting outside our condo ever since.  I decided today I would see if I could get them cleaned up.  We don't have a utility sink for dirty jobs like this, so I grabbed a scrub brush and some paper towels and headed downstairs with a vague notion of cleaning them somewhere near the water.  When I got down to the gardens, I saw the garden hose, which led me to one of the maintenance men who was watering the plants.  The gardens here are extensive, and watering and pruning are all-day, every-day jobs.  I asked him to put a little water on the boots for me.  Instead, he took the scrub brush from me and spent a good five minutes scrubbing those filthy boots, getting dirt out of every little nook and cranny.  I felt so guilty, and tried to tell him I would do it.  But he just did that polite Thai giggle and completed the job himself.  What a kind, selfless thing to do.  It brought to mind the story of Jesus washing the feet of the apostles.  Made me smile all day.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!