Thursday, October 8, 2015

Sunk

A big boat appeared one day much closer than usual, between us and the Sanctuary.  It looked as if it was anchored or attached by a boom of sorts to something under the water.  I checked on it from time to time during the day, and the sun set with it still in place.





The next day we saw what looked like a sunken boat hovering just below the surface near the beach just to the north of us.  The big boat was closer still, and it eventually became apparent that the two were related.  We figured out that the big, barge-like boat was there to raise a sunken boat from the water.



It was a day-long process, with a complicated system of ropes and pulleys, and perhaps air being pumped into the hull?  A coast guard-type boat lingered nearby, its personnel observing the whole operation with their feet up and hands behind their heads.  Another smaller cruiser was back and forth on the scene, perhaps the owners of the sunken vessel.




It was quite interesting to watch the process as it unfolded.  Often one end would appear to be making progress out of the water, only to have the other end sink further down.  Divers would disappear under the sunken boat, adjusting and readjusting the ropes that encircled it.  The operation clearly required lots of patience and know-how.

                                    *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

The second series of Thai language classes were drawing to a close.   I looked for a little thank-you gift for our kruu.  I knew he liked coffee.  I was happy to find a little tin of biscuits with the suggestion to place a biscuit on top of a cup of coffee for two minutes for maximum enjoyment.  Perfect.

The last day of class arrived, and the gift was ready to go in my backpack.  I had just come out of the shower and was considering wearing a dress for that last class, when I got a call from Mick's wife.  From what I could garner, Mick had an issue with the car and would not be able to pick me up in time for class.  Plan B - scratch the dress and seek other means of transportation.  I stopped at the condo office and explained my plight, hoping they would offer assistance.  They suggested I walk up the road and find a taxi - yeah, thanks for that.  I asked them what I should expect to pay, as I've heard stories of taxi drivers overcharging.  They said a taxi would be about 250 THB and a motorcycle taxi about 100 THB.

About five minutes out from the condo, I came upon a motorcycle taxi driver who shouted, "Taxi, madam?"  I asked how much, he asked where, I was able to communicate my destination, and he said 100 THB.  I said, "Okay," he handed me a helmet, and I climbed on behind.  Mick always said the official motorcycle taxis had yellow license plates, and this one didn't.  Still, the motorcyle taxi drivers all wear red vests with a number on the back, and this guy had one of those.  But I bet it is easy to get your hands on a red vest without being an official driver.


I always wondered how one holds on when riding one of these - do you hold onto the driver?  I've seen many women riding side-saddle, but I certainly didn't have the skills for that.  I read somewhere that women were allowed to hold onto male drivers, but men were never allowed to hold onto a female driver.  Well, fortunately I didn't need to hang onto the driver;  once I climbed onto the back of the seat I easily found the foot rests, and there was a handle at the back of the seat.  So it was pretty easy to feel secure, and I enjoyed the ride.  Feeling the breeze as we zipped along, leaning into the turns, we made excellent time and I got to school with five minutes to spare.  I haven't been on a motorcycle since my brother, Pat, got a motorcycle back in the 70's, and got stuck giving all the "little kids" rides down to the corner and back.

Our teacher tried to squeeze as much as possible into our last lesson.  I asked him to show us how to write our names in Thai, and he was surprised to learn my name was "Liz."  He had been calling me "Ris" for all those lessons, and I didn't correct him, thinking this was just his pronunciation.  Here is my name in Thai: ลิฃ  At the end of class he gave us both sheets to practice writing our names.  The staff didn't know my last name for some reason, so they wrote ลิฃ นาวาก, which translates as "Liz Cute."  I guess I'm now at the age when people see me as the cute little old lady!

Mick took care of the car issue and was waiting for me after class.  Mika and I went to lunch to celebrate.  A restaurant recently opened in south Pattaya, called L'Auberge De Pierre.  It is owned by (surprise!) two french men and is a lovely little bistro with the requisite red-and-white checked tablecloths and a pretty red crystal chandelier.  They have an amazing set lunch menu for less than ten dollars, that includes a delicious soup, choice of several entrees, a glass of beer or wine, and a pretty platter of desserts.  What a deal!


Speaking of lunch, any time you are out at lunchtime here, you will see the unique way that Thai store clerks have their lunch.  They don't leave the store, go in a backroom, or even sneak bites behind the counter.  They just find a spot on the floor and spread out their meal like a little picnic.  Just business as usual...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!