Thursday, June 4, 2015

Sink or Swim

Lesson learned:  don't go swimming in the pool at sundown.

I have been trying to swim every day, and so far I've been successful.  It takes me longer than it should to get from one end to the other, but I'm hoping the repetition will somehow improve my form.  Anyway, it gets me moving.

The other day I was unbuckling my seat belt when I felt a sharp pain in my shoulder.  I convinced myself that it was a signal to take a day off from my routine.  I got busy doing other things, and Tim texted me that he was going to be home quite late.  By this time, the sun was just dipping below the horizon.  We have a clear view of the sunset now, and frequently watch the very quick process of the sun disappearing once it hits the horizon.  Well, since I had a couple more hours before Tim got home, I told myself to "man up" and get down to the pool to do my laps.


The pool is dimly lit at night, but I could still see pretty well from the residual twilight.  After a few laps, I caught something from the corner of my eye swooping low to the pool.  "Just a bird," I thought.  Another lap and another swoop; this time it was clear to me that a bat was dive-bombing the pool!  I suppose it was just finding bugs to eat, but it freaked me out enough to cut my swim short.

Unfortunately, on the last lap I lost a comb from my hair, and when I searched for it, I saw its vague, dark form at the bottom of the deep end.  Now, Tim always marvels at how easy it is for me to float - I could probably float for hours with little effort.  But the same quality that makes it easy for me to float, also makes it extremely difficult for me to submerge!  I tried several times to swim down to the elusive dark spot, and felt like I was going really deep, but never touched the bottom.  Go ahead, you can laugh.

I realized Plan B was in order, and fetched the long-handled skimmer that is kept up in the rafters of the pool bar.  I had to climb up on a stone wall to reach it, then maneuvered it down carefully.  I climbed over the pool bar wall and managed, by sitting and sidling, to step onto the first submerged stool.  After trying to scoop up the fugitive comb several times, I noticed it would move a bit when I swiped at it, so I thought it would be better to just guide it over to the shallow end.  Try not to picture this: me swiping at the comb, stepping/squatting from one stool to the next, trying not to lose my balance or the skimmer.  When I got to the last stool, I clambered ungracefully into the water, and managed to pick up the shifty comb with my toes.  Then I realized that the security guard was probably watching the whole thing on the security camera.  Yep, that's how I roll.

I am never alone at the pool.  Although the bat made me uncomfortable, my other companions are usually less intimidating.  Have a look:

This tree at one end of the pool is always full
 of White-vented Mynas.  I think they build their
nests in the holes of the tree.

These cats like to hang around
 when people are swimming.


This one hides from the other one.



This snail hung out
on the wall of
the pool shower
for many days.

Mourning dove coos softly in the background.


2 comments:

  1. I would never go swimming alone again. It sounds like you are having a wonderful time. I love reading your posts! Marika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, MZ. Be sure to let me know when there is baby news!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!