Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Big Sky

August 22, 2017

I have been enjoying all the excitement about the total solar eclipse from afar.   I spent a fair amount of time perusing everyone's Facebook posts and pictures, and tracing everyone's travels to obscure locations - places that I imagine don't get many tourists: Carbondale, IL, Glendo, WY, Princeton, KY, Beatrice, NE, somewhere south of Ashville, NC.  As it set yesterday, I told the sun it was going to be the center of attention on the other side of the world.  (I really did...I hope the neighbors didn't hear.)

I remember being a somewhat unimpressed ten-year-old when we had an eclipse in Michigan.  Since we couldn't look directly at it, we put pinholes in paper plates and looked at the image on the ground. Eclipse glasses were not widely available in the seventies.  It was quite anticlimactic to my young mind.  "That was it??"  I am sorry to have missed this one - I'm sure I would've appreciated it more.

The idea of everyone looking to the heavens prompted me to share some slightly less spectacular pictures of the Thailand sky from the past year.  These images are certainly "eclipsed" by the rare phenomenon enjoyed by many Americans yesterday, but you may find them enjoyable all the same.

In January, a rainbow spanned both sides of our building





Awesome summer storm

Another rainbow

I think our proximity to the equator makes the crescent moon lay on its back?

Looking up...through the branches of a coconut tree.

Another amazing storm out over the water


Congratulations to all of you who were able to witness the amazing eclipse of 2017 - hope the clouds didn't get in your way!  



1 comment:

  1. It was madness at the library. We had 200 pairs of eclipse glasses we were giving away at our eclipse viewing party. Instead a million adults line up early in the morning and bitched when I wouldn't given them out then. And that's not even including the 1,000 plus phone calls we have answered about this in the last week. Be glad you weren't here.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!